DEDICATED TO PRESERVING A HISTORICAL LANDMARK DESIGNED BY RENOWNED ARCHITECT, JULIA MORGAN
We are a nonprofit civic organization with a long history of community service. The Monday Club was founded in 1925 and has done many things since it's inception for the San Luis Obispo community. We support local charitable causes for women and children.
The beautiful historic building was designed by Hearst Castle architect Julia Morgan and constructed in 1933-1934.
Julia Morgan designed the clubhouse to resemble a garden gazebo with an interior awning over the stage area. Large off-white Chinese lanterns were used to light the room. Miss Barneberg's brother donated the flagstone, shipped from Merced County, for the fireplace. Miss Morgan oversaw the construction and painting of the interior.
She became fond of the loquat trees she often saw during walks around the town and included them in the design of the large wall murals in the main hall.
Led by club President Grace Barneberg, the organization grew by leaps and bounds. In 1928 the membership was up to 350 and the need to have their own clubhouse was apparent. A member's husband was the County Clerk, who alerted them of a property on upper Monterey Street that was available because of default. They quickly voted to purchase the property and raised the $3,900 needed. Club members held rummage sales, card parties, flower shows, fashion shows and dinners. Some even shined the shoes of businessmen at a stand on the corner of Monterey and Chorro Streets! Title to the property was acquired after incorporating on August 14,1930.
Miss Barneberg had visited clubhouses in Berkeley and Oakland designed by prominent San Francisco architect Julia Morgan. At that time, Miss Morgan was working with William Randolph Hearst on the design and construction of San Simeon castle. Cab driver Steve Zegar was known to drive her from the San Luis Obispo train station to San Simeon when she arrived by train from San Francisco. Miss Barneberg prevailed upon Mr. Zegar to inquire whether Miss Morgan might design a women's clubhouse. En lieu of charging professional fees Miss Morgan asked if the membership would arrange for her room and board when she came to San Luis Obispo. Club members were delighted to help and took turns welcoming Miss Morgan into their homes.
On May 11, 1934, the membership celebrated the dedication of the new clubhouse.
More information about this historic building listed on the National Register of Historic Places can be found on the Cal Poly Special Collections website:
Online Archives of California (summary & links): https://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c8445s4b/
Calpoly Kennedy Library Online Archive: https://digital.lib.calpoly.edu/rekl-mondayclub-ms087
National Register of Historic Places: https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/16000230.htm
More information about Julia Morgan can be found on the Cal Poly Special Collections website: